futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

I Am Legend

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson "I Am Legend" is the story of the one survivor of a plague-ridden world where those who didn't survive the plague became vampires. I enjoyed the way that the survivor, Robert, tried to look at the plague scientifically, trying to figure out why it was that garlic, sunlight, wooden stakes, mirrors, and crosses worked on vampires. And, in the end, I enjoyed how the author personalized the vampires as a group of people who were developing medicine to help them survive.

I was unaware when I began reading that this was a book of short horror stories. "I Am Legend" is by far the longest and best at 140 pages. A couple of the other stories are vampire stories, but the others are just mainly plain horror with everything from voodoo to something you might find in the Twilight Zone. Matheson, after all, wrote for The Twilight Zone regularly.

I'm looking forward to the "I Am Legend" movie. I can definitely see Will Smith as being the perfect person to play the part since he was the character I saw in my mind while reading the book.