futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon - David Grann This is a non-fiction novel about the mystery of an explorer lost in the Amazon in the 1920s in search for The Lost City of Z. And it does not disappoint. I was sure that I was going to get to the end of it without learning what happened to the lost explorer or whether the Lost City of Z really exists. I won't say whether I learned of one, the other, or both, but I feel satisfied with the ending.

Percy Fawcett grew up in the age of explorers of the late 19th century like Livingstone and Burton. Other famous explorers had already been sent out by the Royal Geographic Society years before Fawcett got his start near the turn of the 20th century. However, it was on his adventures in other parts of South America that Fawcett began hearing rumors of an amazing lost city in the Amazon that the first European explorers to the New World had talked of. This city was supposed to be a rich place with highway systems, large buildings, and gold. Yet, everyone who'd gone in search of this place had either found nothing or disappeared into the jungle never to be seen again.

Eventually, Fawcett went with his son and his son's best friend in search of this Lost City of Z. After they disappeared into the jungle, various rumors emerged as to what happened to them: they were killed by natives, Fawcett's son had fathered a child with a native woman, Fawcett was being held captive in a village full of savages, or other unsubstantiated rumors. Two artifacts belonging to Fawcett, a set of bones, and a fair-skinned and blue-eyed child came out of the jungle as possible clues to his disappearance. Yet, at least a hundred men went to look for Fawcett over the last century never to return. In addition, the disappearance of Fawcett has inspired many movies and novels including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's [b:The Lost World|10155|The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)|Arthur Conan Doyle|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320504012s/10155.jpg|1098725].

This particular novel was written by a journalist who became so interested in the story of Fawcett that he had to go to Brazil for himself in order to follow some of the clues Fawcett left behind. Luckily, the author did come out of the jungle to tell the story of what he found there. This novel is also the inspiration for a movie slated to come out in 2010 starring and directed by Brad Pitt. I think it will make quite an interesting film, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.