futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Twelve Months of Monastery Salads: 200 Divine Recipes for All Seasons

Twelve Months of Monastery Salads: 200 Divine Recipes for All Seasons - Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette I love this cookbook. The author is a monk from a St. Benedict monastery in New York. The cookbooks is divided into 12 sections for each month, and each section features vegetables that are in season in the monastery gardens that month. I've tried 4 or 5 of these salads and all but one have been great. All the recipes include a recipe for the dressing to accompany it. I find it interesting that most are vinegar- or mustard- based. And these guys really like their onions, so you may want to cut the amount of onions in the recipes. All the recipes are vegetarian or pescatarian.

My favorite salads so far have been:
*Summertime Salad (p. 152) which is the most amazing fruit salad I've ever had. It features cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, white wine, and mint. And it tastes like heaven.
*Lentil Salad, Cantal Style (p. 90) which tastes much like tabouleh with lentils substituted for the bulgar wheat.
*Orzo and Green Pea Salad (p. 102). I substituted couscous for the orzo since I like couscous better.

This is the perfect cookbook for those hot summer days when no cooked foods sound good. I recommend it highly. I'd also love to check out the author's book Twelve Months of Monastery Soups.