futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Time's Twisted Arrow

Time's Twisted Arrow - Rysa Walker I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did. I get the feeling that it has something to do with the YA romance feel of the book description and the cover making it look more like a time travel textbook than a time travel page-turner. However, I thought I'd give it a try since the book club was reading it and because it had such high ratings.

... And I liked it very much. But what makes it good?
*Time travel abilities in this novel rely on genetics. Therefore, there aren't a large number of people able to muck about in time.
*It's obvious that the author felt at home in the time period to which her characters traveled in the past (after all, the author is a history professor). Her writing made me wish I could visit a World's Fair.
*The antagonist of the story is trying to take over the world by infiltrating his own new religion into the past. Religion is the perfect vehicle for such a task.
*History gets re-written but there's a time bubble that allows people wearing a time travel medallion to be aware of the various versions of history that have existed before history was re-written.
*Every time I thought that the rules of time travel in the book had been broken, I found that they absolutely had not and every loose end had been tied up without me having to just suspend belief and go on.
*The book is YA without going over the line into sparkling vampires.
*Both of the main characters' romantic interests are sweet and likeable (yes, you've got to add 2 romantic interests in to divide the readership into factions rooting for one or the other ... I think I'm going to have to root for Kiernan).
*Dad asks daughter after seeing her recorded videochats with her love interest whether they ever had anything substantial to talk about. Ha. How simple relationships are as a teen when it's acceptable to have nothing in common but life itself.

I stayed up well past my normal bedtime, reading by Kindle-light, under the covers, eyes flying in a frenzy from word to word. And then the book was over and I was frantically looking for a sequel only to find nothing. There's going to be a novella out in the summer of 2013 and the 2nd book in the series out by the end of 2013. However, I'm already feeling impatient. The novella is supposed to tell the story of the history that the main character forgot when she wasn't wearing her medallion and wasn't protected from forgetting everything that was changed in time. My interest is definitely piqued.