futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr. After an apocalypse of unknown origin, the world is full of mutants and illiterates who glory in their illiteracy. Some even postulate that the survivors are a race scientifically created by the humans of old who rebelled against their masters. As the centuries progress, However, a group of monks in Utah try to keep science and literacy alive for a future world by hoarding relics and books of the past. The story is told in 3 parts in 3 very different centuries with only 2 common denominators: the fortress that the monks live in and an old man who claims to be thousands of years old.

The idea of this novel is a good one. There are many interesting themes. I had considered giving it a 4-star rating except that nothing is resolved at the end. You never find any specific answers in the relics or from the old man about the past nor do you ever find out any specifics about the old man. I was hoping for a little more closure. Granted, life and history doesn't always give us closure on questions about our past or about mysterious people. But I was hoping that the author would.