futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Another Life

Another Life - Peter Anghelides Owen enjoys becoming someone different in Tosh's new virtual reality interface for an online role playing game like Second Life. A Bryuydac life form enjoys becoming someone different as it hops from human host to human host as it gathers things it desperately needs to get back home. Both enjoy seeing the world through someone else's eyes, but only one is causing death and destruction in the real world.

I was fairly impressed with the adaptation of Torchwood to novel format. It has all the depth that makes Torchwood a great series: depth of emotion, intelligence, sexual tension, action, and quirky characters. The novel successfully brings together several story lines that at first seem unconnected, making it a much more complex novel than the Doctor Who novel I just read. The novel must take place some time in the middle of season one rather than between season one and two of the series because it assumes that Owen and Gwen have never had any sort of fling and Ianto seems annoyed with Jack's sexual banter toward him. I think this particular author could have done better with Jack's dialogue, though, because it sounds more British than American. What American would ever say, "I think I've just trod in dog shit"? But that's really the only negative thing I can say about the book. It definitely helped satisfy the need for watching a new Torchwood episode between seasons.

I'll definitely pick up the next 2 Torchwood novels which, by the way, make a complete picture of the cast when displayed side-by-side on your bookshelf.