futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Uglies

Uglies - Scott Westerfeld After finishing 425 pages that I couldn't put down, I'm finding myself needing to buy the next in the series as soon as possible. No wonder editors are getting copy-cat novels similar to this from aspiring writers.

Uglies tells the story of a post-apocalyptic dystopia where everyone gets a surgery at age 16 to make them "pretty" with a perfect body, perfect face, and diminished personality. This surgery is supposed to prevent people from having an unfair advantage in the workplace because of the way they look and to prevent conflicts because of the color of people's skin. And when you become a "pretty" there's nothing but party after party every night. However, from the age of 12-15, you have to move to Ugly Town to live with all the other "uglies" until your operation. However, over the years, many of the uglies have escaped beyond the city to live off the land rather than to become a pretty.

The author has created a different world with different rules. The city has a grid up metal under it which magnetic hoverboards and hovercrafts use to zip around the city. People look different and have different initiation rites for growing older.

One of the characters spends a great deal of time following a riddle another ugly has left behind for her to get from the city to the secret world of the uglies who refused to turn pretty. These uglies have created a place called The Smoke where they have attempted to keep vestiges of the past alive with a library of books and magazines from the time before everyone's eventual fate was to become a pretty.

If the other books in this series are as good as the first, I know what I'm going to be spending too much money on in the next few days or weeks.