futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Slurp: Drinks and Light Fare, All Day, All Night

Slurp: Drinks and Light Fare, All Day, All Night - Jim Hensley, Paul Lowe Not only is this a beautiful book, but nearly everything I've tried so far has been very tasty. Slurp contains recipes for both food and drinks. It has both hot and cold drinks and both non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. The recipes include fruit smoothies, espresso-based drinks, teas, alcoholic mixed drinks, breakfasts, and appetizers. You can't thumb through the book without feeling the need to get the ingredients to try several of the drink and food recipes or throw a cocktail party where everyone brings an ingredient so that you can try even more.

The author has definitely put a modern twist on the art of drink-making. I noticed that the most common ingredients the author includes in his drink recipes seem to be espresso, Cointreau, vodka, mint, melon, lemon, lime, and ginger. I like the various simple syrup recipes that the author gives for mixing in with various drinks: cinnamon, cardamom, chile pepper, lemongrass, lime, and vanilla (not all at once). He also offers some interesting garnish ideas such as sugared and curled Citrus Sticks or Rock Candy.

So far, the two teas I've tried have been very nice: Rosemary Tea (breakfast tea + a fresh rosemary sprig) and Ginger Tea (green tea + fresh ginger slices). Both were innovative and full of flavor. For breakfast, I've been enjoying Yogurt Muesli With Pears (rolled oats + canned pears in juice + yogurt). I immediately gave the recipe to my mom after one bite. And Kir (créme de cassis + white wine) has become my new favorite alcoholic beverage. This black currant flavored cocktail is a favorite of France and is also the favorite drink of Agatha Christie's fictional detective Hercule Poirot. However, I wasn't all that impressed with the [Honeydew] Melon, Honey, and Lime Smoothie. The flavors just didn't seem to work well together (maybe I'll try it without honey next time).

I'm looking forward to trying the Blueberry & Vanilla Smoothie, Coconut Smoothie With Ground Nutmeg, the Watermelon and Ginger Cooler, the Granita (Frozen Coffee), the Chai Tea Latte, as well as the Carrot and Ginger Soup. I'm also curious to try the Caipirinha which is made with with cachaça (a Brazilian liquor made from sugar cane). Frankly, if I gave the list of everything in the book I want to try, I'd be re-typing the entire index.

I've proudly displayed and used this book in my kitchen from the moment I got it, and I plan to use it even more as summer requires me to consume more beverages.