futurista

Enid Blyton
The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

How to Be a Complete and Utter Failure in Life, Work & Everything: 44 1/2 Steps to Lasting Underachievement - Steve McDermott This book was an absolute failure. I chose to preview this from Amazon Vine because I had the idea that it was going to be a book of funny anecdotes of various people who had failed. I thought that I could look at their failure and perhaps learn from their example. Sadly, this is just another self-help book with lots of cliches about things like goals, your life purpose, etc. I think the author completely lost me when he suggested that I'd not succeed in life unless I completely loathed going to work every morning. I'm sorry, but I'd rather enjoy my life than have all the money in the world. Other than that, it's my opinion that a self-help book can only help someone that needs help just like a doctor can only cure someone that's sick. I don't see the tenants of success in this book as being things that are broken in my life, so perhaps I'm not the best judge for how great this book is. For example, I have no problem changing my beliefs, I don't fear failure, I take responsibility for my actions, I can control my moods, I'm innovative. These tips for success just sound like basic life skills for the normal, healthy balanced adult. If you're not a normal, healthy balanced adult, buy this book by all means. Otherwise, I think you can skip it because you're probably already doing what he suggests.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.