futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Raw Shark Texts

The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall This book grabbed my attention when quick flip through it reminded me of [book: House of Leaves]. And it actually is [book: House of Leaves] meets "Memento" meets [book: Fight Club] meets [book: The Island of the Day Before].

Basically, a guy wakes up to find that he's lost his memory and this is something like the 11th time he's lost it. Unfortunately, there's nothing in his apartment to help him find out who he was or who his friends and family were. He begins to follow clues that his old self has left himself. This leads him to a story about a dead girlfriend, a man who disappears through the floor, a girl with a smiley face tattooed on the bottom of her big toe, a romp through un-space, a tunnel made of paper and phone books, and eventually a Ludovician conceptual sharp.

All the concepts in the book stay a little fuzzy around the edges most of the time. It's like you're grasping at these vague concepts along with the character as he tries to remember his past and figure out what's going on.

I've heard that this might become a movie. It would certainly be an interesting one. I mainly pictured the part of Eric as being played by Edward Norton (probably thanks to Fight Club), Clio as Zooey Deschanel, and Dr Fidorous as David Tennant.