futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Good Thief

The Good Thief - Hannah Tinti The Good Thief is written in the style of a Charles Dickens or Robert Louis Stevenson novel. It tells the story of a boy named Ren who was left at an orphanage as a baby. One day a man claiming to be his brother comes to take him away. He tells stories of Indian scalpers to explain what happened to Ren's parents and to the hand Ren's been missing all his life. Ren's not sure he's telling the truth, but he goes to live with this man and becomes part of an unlikely family of thieves and grave robbers. Ren's many new adventures include finding a man buried alive and discovering a toy-making dwarf who lives up a chimney. All the while, he gets hints of his true origins.

With such an interesting concept and great beginning to this novel, I was sad to finish this book disappointed. The book was interesting in parts, but I found myself plodding through it as a whole. I think that the main problem was that there were so many places where the author had the scene set in her head but the reader wasn't given enough information. Perhaps a character was coming back when you never knew he'd left in the first place or the author would make a revelation about a character without pulling the pieces together well enough for the reader to know what the revelation really was. So I'm not really sure at the end of the novel what happened. Oh well.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.