futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Army of the Republic: A Novel

The Army of the Republic: A Novel - Stuart Archer Cohen The Army of the Republic is definitely an important novel to read. As it says on the cover, read it while it's still fiction. In this work of fiction, America's economy has collapsed and big companies are buying up even city water supplies to make a sizable profit. The USA is ripe for revolution as the people get poorer and large companies get richer. Some groups are hoping for revolution through non-violent protest. However, the Army of the Republic feels the need for a show of force -- murdering corrupt businessmen and bombing monopolistic companies. Both the non-violent and violent protesters feel that their way of solving the country's problems are correct, but they eventually band together to try to incite the necessary change.

Each chapter is told from one of 3 different characters' points of view. This is an extremely effective strategy on the part of the author because it lets the reader understand various ways of seeing revolutionary ideas. Through Emily, the reader becomes acquainted with the theories of non-violent resistance. Through Lando, the reader comes to understand the attitudes of those who feel violence is the only way to get the country's attention. And through Jim, the reader delves into the feelings of the executives who have created the problems in the first place.

This novel isn't necessarily a page-turner, but I felt compelled to finish it because a need for revolution could come to any generation. The decision to call for revolution is not one to make lightly because it nearly always is carried to its end through violence even if it starts as non-violent protests.

My only qualm with this novel is that I had hoped that it would have been more literarily great. I had hoped for something that would be so shockingly wonderful that I'd have to give it 5 stars and suggest it to all my friends who would greedily devour the pages. Unfortunately, the writing didn't quite have that effect on me.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.