futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer I got the 3-book boxed set for the price of 1 book. Sadly, I don't find myself interested enough in the series to continue with books 2 and 3.

The book began interestingly enough. A 12-year-old genius hits upon a plan to replenish his family fortune by stealing gold from Leprechauns. The author cleverly explains that fairy is a general term while elf is more specific. And Leprechaun is just a job description for elves: Leprechaun = LEP recon = Lower Elements Police recon. And the leprechaun's proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is really a ransom fund in the event that a Leprechaun is ever kidnapped.

Thus commences a kidnapping of a Leprechaun to try to get at the ransom fund. The first half of the book is somewhat interesting while the last half of the book consists of the Leprechauns trying to get their kidnapped officer back by various means. What's the plan now? How about now? And how about now? What will they send into the time-stopped mansion next? Who's going to win? Blah blah boring.