futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Fetch

The Fetch - Laura Whitcomb This story was made much more interesting by populating the story with notorious historical character of Rasputin and the famously murdered Russian royal family. The front cover calls this novel a "supernatural romance", but the story contained more obsession than romance.

The main character, Calder, was human hundreds of years ago, but now he's a "fetch". It's a fetch's job to lead dying souls through death's door and into heaven. However, Calder's obsession with a beautiful blonde woman that he hopes will become his apprentice leads him out of heaven and into the body of the famed Rasputin. Is it any wonder that Rasputin was difficult to kill with poison & bullets when his body was possessed by an immortal? Through Rasputin, Calder also becomes closely acquainted with Tsar Nicholas' royal family, especially the younger children -- Alexis and Ana.

While I enjoyed this book, I found the climax and ending to be a little weak. But, all in all, the story was a good one.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.