futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

My Abandonment

My Abandonment - Peter Rock This novel tells the story of a man and his daughter who lives in a Portland park for 4 years without detection. It's not that they don't have the money to live elsewhere (the father gets checks from the government), but that they've chosen to live in the woods rather than the way everyone else lives. Caroline (the daughter) is homeschooled and even has her own garden and a half of a set of encyclopedias of which she's read through "E". Unfortunately, people aren't allowed to live in Portland's parks. The authorities find their forest home and try to make them live a "normal" life, but everyone's version of normal isn't the same.

While the idea of a modern family living in a park sounds interesting, I did not find this book to be a very compelling read except toward the end when it gets a bit darker. I also found it unconvincing because the 13-year-old daughter, Caroline, acts much younger than 13. Sure, she's been away from modern society, but I would think that would cause her to mature faster rather than slower. I was also unimpressed by the run-on sentences that required rereading for lack of commas.

I'm sure there are people out there who would enjoy this book more than I did. It just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.