futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

With Fate Conspire: (#1)

With Fate Conspire: (#1) - Mike Shupp I picked this book up in a used bookstore just because the blurb on the back cover sounded interesting and the author has the same name as a long-lost college friend. While the plot of the book is an interesting one, the author is a rather bad storyteller. I'm surprised it made it into a 4-book series in the mid- and late 80s.

The novel tells the story of college kid named Tim who mysteriously finds himself in the bubble of a time machine. The actual mechanism of the time machine seems to be in the dorm room below his own. The time machine allows him to walk 90,000 years into the future before it stops. The future is populated with normal people and telepathic people, and wars have been fought because of the fear of the normals for the telepaths. Tim uses his time machine to try to change the future for the better, but nearly everything he does causes little to no results.

Unfortunately, my understanding of the story beyond this is very sketchy because the author only alludes to the actions in story. I re-read many scenes trying to figure out what actually happened within a scene because the author writes like a person who skips the joke and goes straight for the punchline. The author has a whole world in his head but forgets to write that world for the reader to see the complete picture. Probably the biggest example of this is that I never figured out where Tim's time machine came from, why it won't go farther than 90,000 years in the future, if there were already many time machines in the future or if Tim's friends reverse-engineered his time machines to make others. Frankly, I skimmed the last 70 pages because I got so tired of re-reading pages trying to figure out what happened based on sentences which required me to constantly read between the lines. Really, this style of writing doesn't make for enjoyable reading.

No wonder mine is the only review of this book. The plot of the book is an interesting one taken as a whole, but the actual book was quite a dud.