futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Genesis

Genesis - Bernard Beckett This is the best post-apocalyptic novel I've read since The Road. I started reading it the moment it arrived in my mailbox and was not able to put it down until I'd finished it. It's an intensely cerebral and philosophical read for a young adult novel. And just when I thought I'd discovered the secret of the book, I was completely caught off-guard by the true secret.

A girl named Anax has been given the chance to take a 4-hour oral exam to interview for entrance into The Academy. The book is the transcript of this oral exam. This unique writing format works well because it's through the interview process that we learn about the history of the earth from 2032 onward. She tells of wars, plague, refuge on a walled island, robots, a man named Adam who changed history, and a foundling girl named Eve. As Anax tells of the history of earth and her island, the reader is drawn deeply into the story and becomes as obsessed with Adam's tale as Anax has been. However, Anax has long-suspected that there's something missing from the story of the island and Adam. It is through this interview process that Anax learns of her island's true history.

This novel has so many components that I like: philosophy, suppositions about where current history is leading us, plague, apocalypse, robots, secrets, and secret societies. In the course of a few hours, it became a new favorite. I lay awake in bed pondering its mysteries and dreamed of it when I fell asleep. It's truly a great book.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.