futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Await Your Reply

Await Your Reply - Dan Chaon This novel gripped me from the start with its severed hand in an ice chest sitting on the seat beside one of the main characters. This novel isn't so much of a page turner as it is interesting enough to keep you coming back for more.

There are several stories going on at once in this novel. Different chapters follow different characters, but they all seem to have things in common. The main characters are all are people who have decided to leave their old lives behind and change identities. Maybe they have run off with their history teacher, their long lost dad has taken them off for adventure, they have faked their own death, they have pretend to be their own twin, or they have vanished with crazy ideas of finding lost cities and treasures from their own fantasy world. The characters are all tangled up in some way with identity theft and ill-gotten money from scams involving spam mail, claiming unclaimed property, stealing from the immediately dead, or other cons. Somehow, you know all these characters are connected, and you think you know how, but the clues don't necessarily all add up the way you want them to.

I found this book a pleasure to read despite my intense distaste for con-artists. I'd certainly read another book by this author.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.