futurista

Enid Blyton
The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers - Lotta Jansdotter, Meiko Arquillos I love this book. In less than a week I've already made 2 baby hats and giraffe rattle with plans to make so much more when I learn the gender of my baby next month. There are patterns included for most of the items in the book, plus pictures and written instructions. All but the dress are uni-sex.

The patterns include:
*bloomers
*bib kerchief
*simple dress (with a cute little pocket friend)
*simple pants
*decorated tees and bodysuits
*2 kinds of baby hats and a scarf
*giraffe rattle
*a weird "buddy" that looks like a stuffed person in the shape of a very large fingertip ... with spindly arms & legs
*soft letter pillows (for play or decoration)
*soft book
*mini tag blanket
*snuggler
*bib
*play quilt with pocket
*book mates/bookends (more fingertip-shaped people)
*nursing pillow
*towel hoodie
*washcloths
*crib bumper
*diaper bag
*changing pad
*velcro pouches
*burp rags

Most of the items are simple enough to only take up an hour or so of your time to make (sometimes less in the case of items like the bibs). The instructions are okay. I've had to scribble in my own notes from trial and error or if I disagree with her method (why embroider before sewing if you're embroidering by hand?). But she tends to give too much information rather than not enough for most projects.

I think even the beginning seamstress could manage the projects in this book. A beginner might have to research a few phrases like "slipstitching", but all in all, these are probably some of the easiest and universally useful baby patterns around.

My only gripe about this book is that I really hate Lotta's choice of fabric. Ew. Luckily, this means that when I compare everything I make to the pictures in the book, mine look better even if it's only because I like my fabric choices better. Everyone is entitled to their own taste in colors and patterns. You might not like my navy blue and olive green giraffe as much as I do. ;)