futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

And Baby Makes Four: A Trimester-by-Trimester Guide to a Baby-Friendly Dog

And Baby Makes Four: A Trimester-by-Trimester Guide to a Baby-Friendly Dog - Penny Scott-fox, Ingrid Kallick This is a great book if you're worried about how your dog is going to react to a new baby in the house (like we are). The main reason we're concerned is because our dog is so prey-driven with small animals like cats and squirrels. However, our vet told us that most dogs that are animal-aggressive are not people-aggressive and visa versa. Still, remembering how she lunges for attack when I have a cat in my arms makes me nervous.

One of the main ideas in this book is to turn your dog that thinks it's a human into a dog that knows its status as a dog. This was a hard-sell to my husband, but our dog has become a different dog since we've demoted her by not allowing her up on furniture and by making her "work" for everything from food to getting to go outside. My husband was shocked the other day when she automatically followed behind him on the leash instead of trying to pull ahead. And she settled down all night in her new place in the living room (not the couch) while we had guests for movies last night. By just following the suggestions from the first half of the book, we've created a new dog that seems to really like her demotion from child to to dog. I really hope all the other training that is specific to introducing her to a new baby is as helpful as all the other training tips have been.

I think that the people who haven't been impressed with this book are probably the ones that already had a "dog" living with them and didn't need to go through the process of demoting their dog to "dog" like we have. I have to say, though, that the things we've learned from this book work with our dog much better with other training methods I've tried from people like the Dog Whisperer. For example, I think that getting the dog to finally follow behind us on a leash has resulted from a combination of demoting her and teaching her the value of a slack leash as mentioned in this book.

Now I need to go through the book and make a chart so I can check off everything as she learns it before the baby comes.