futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Parenting: Love in Spoonfuls

Parenting: Love in Spoonfuls - Parenting Magazine The first 20 or so pages of this book are quite useful. They tell you when to start feeding baby food to your baby, what to start with, hot much you should feed the baby, and how to prepare and store the food. Beyond that, I wasn't really all that impressed. Many of the recipes involve steaming and mashing a vegetable or fruit and adding a liquid. Wow. I would have never thought of that on my own. *insert sarcasm here* Oh, yeah, and don't forget that your liquid of choice can be breastmilk. The other recipes seemed to be things like oatmeal or miniature versions of grownup food like tiny meatballs, small pancakes, or french toast cut into squares. It all sounds like a really bland recipe for making your child a picky eater by offering it bland boring foods or really yucky things like applesauce with pureed spinach in it. I'm of the opinion that if you start your child off eating flavorful foods with herbs and spices in it that you're not as likely to have a child that only wants bland foods later on. After all, breastmilk is infused with the flavors of all the things you eat. Why switch a baby to a gross, bland diet just because it's switched to solids.

I will refer to this book for baking and steaming times for some of the fruits and vegetables listed here, but I don't think I'll use it for anything else.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.