futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Day of the Triffids

The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham Day of the Triffids was this month's read in GoodReads' Apocalypse Whenever group, and it pleasantly surprised me. The premise is that most of the world goes blind after looking at comets in the sky and that the earth is overtaken by semi-intelligent carnivorous plants. Thus, I expected it to read more like an implausible B movie on the sci-fi channel or be like the silli-riffic Little Shop of Horrors. However, it was nearer to a plausible reality, and it sucked me in to read it during every spare moment.

In reading post-apocalyptic fiction, I find it interesting to note how different authors have their characters survive in the immediate aftermath of disaster. By eliminating most of the population through plague, there wasn't much competition for supplies. Thus, the author had its characters loading at least a year's supply of goods into large trucks from warehouses and gathering seeds to start farming measures for the future.

Another interesting component the author adds is how ethics sometimes needs to change to fit the situation. Can a few sighted people really take care of a world full of blind people? Should those few with sight take pity on the blind or worry about their own survival? The right thing is often colored with more shades of grey than we suppose.

While reading, I tried to plot out if it would be possible to go blind and successfully find my way to the nearest grocery store. I took a walk this afternoon through the neighborhood and realized just how likely it would be that I'd get lost before I found it. I'd probably end up turning down people's driveways instead of down the streets that would lead me there. But, luckily, there's one only about 2 blocks up and 3 blocks over, so it wouldn't be impossible ... as long as there weren't deadly, carnivorous plants roaming around the neighborhood as well. I'd like to think that I'd be left among the sighted, having been too busy reading a good book to go outside and have comets blind me. Luckily, this entire scenario is fairly unlikely.