futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat - Dr. Seuss This is one of those books I've heard about all my life and never read. A friend mentioned it and said she didn't like it because the cat was creepy. Surely, I wouldn't feel the same way, I thought. I wonder what I would have thought about this book without being jaded by her response to the a strange man (the cat in the hat) waltzing in when 2 kids' parents aren't home and wreaking havoc on their house. I suppose the ending leaves an opening to explain to kids that you don't invite strangers inside when your parents are away from home and that, if you do, that you tell your parents what happened once they get back home. Right?

My mom never let us read Dr. Seuss as a child. I never understood why. Then again, there were probably more books on the list of forbidden than allowed books, so I never really questioned it. Now that I'm reading him for the first time, I'm finding myself on the fence about whether I like him or not. These books are definitely quirky and creative. The rhymes are great tools for teaching reading (I've used them even when tutoring adults who were learning to read). I think that what really gets me is that many of them are just a little ... off. They can be read innocently or not so innocently. Read innocently, they're great fun. Read not-so-innocently, they could be horror stories or dirty books. Fox in Socks is one that seems to be full of double entendre (but that's a story for another day).

P.S. Does your Cat in the Hat speak in a fake British accent? Mine does.