futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep - Adam Mansbach, Ricardo Cort├ęs Obviously, I'd not be reading this as a real bedtime story ... although I encountered a shirtless, bandana-ed guy at the dollar store today that would. While he was purchasing a metal yard stake for his dog, he yelled over to a little kid sitting in a car-shaped shopping cart. "Hey, kid! You can't park there; that's a handicapped spot." The kindergarten-aged kid looked up at him as if he were going to cry. "I'm just f*ing with ya, kid," he said.

I told my husband this story, he snorted a bit, and then he played me the audio version of this book narrated by Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson's is definitely the perfect voice for the book. There's the perfect balance of serious melodic verse coupled with the humor of a child who just won't go to sleep. As with most comedy, the hilarity of this book is directly proportional to the reader's ability to relate. It's a book to read after your child's bedtime when you're just too tired to do anything but giggle at its resemblance to yourself and fall asleep yourself.