futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Soul Identity

Soul Identity - Dennis Batchelder Imagine a society that has been getting rich for nearly 3 millennia by claiming to be able to identify your soul in the past, present, and future. Even if you don't believe in reincarnation, you might still sign up just to see if someone left an account for you (if you're lucky) that's been compounding interest for 200 years ... or perhaps for a future incarnation of you that might appreciate instant wealth (a mere $1000 investment could grow quite nicely over the centuries). Now imagine how someone might try to exploit such a company to their advantage.

I'm not sure how I came across this book, but I grew to like it very much in a few short pages. Mainly, I was pulled into the book by the quirky characters. They're the type of interesting and memorable characters I'd hope to write if I ever got around to writing characters. Our hero, Scott Waverly, begins his new security job for Soul Identity by submitting the soul readings for a bluefish rather than those of his own soul just to see if anyone would notice. And he secretly calls his neighbor "Santa" behind his back (like I call mine "The Sweeping Lady"). Yes, this is the type of character I found myself very keen to adventure with for a day or 2 as he looked for security holes in a company that was mysteriously going bankrupt after a very discreetly successful 2600-year history. I especially enjoyed romping around in Hyderabad, India, with our hero since it's a place a have a soft spot for after spending a month there several years ago. I got the feeling that Mr. Batchelder (our kindly storyteller) must have spent some time in Hyderabad as well from the sight and smell memories he threw my way. Telugu meeku telusa, Mr. Batchelder?

I might give the 2nd book in the series a go eventually. Most series books tend to disappoint me after book #1, but I might feel the need for a little quirky fun some time in the future and decide to read it anyway.