futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan I'm really trying to think of something good to say about this book, but I really can't. The only thing that could possibly be a plus is that the solipsistic main character from book #1 has grown up and realized what a selfish person she was in her teen years. And her teenaged daughter provides her with much karmic payback. In a world where zombies (a.k.a. mudo) are on the other side of the city walls, you really hope that your daughter's friends don't dare each other to live a little and jump the wall. But of course they will, won't they?

Book #2 of the series picks up with the first hand account of the daughter and the repercussions of giving into peer pressure in a post-apocalyptic zombie-filled world. There are also the requisite 2 love interests of today's YA novel. Who will she choose? Who loves her most? *yawn*

There's also an interesting cult in the book that makes an appearance. If you saw the zombie movie Fido, you'll best appreciate the cult's general domestication of zombies.

Mainly, I found the writing style to be grating and annoying. For each event or conversation, there were pages and pages of commentary on what the main character felt (i.e., the wood was rough beneath her hands, the rain fell softly against her cheeks) and how she felt emotionally ... ad nauseum. For some reason, she was always complaining that her emotions were such that she couldn't catch her breath. I think that the book could have easily been a 50-page book without all the friggin' feeeeeeeeeelings.

I've spent way too much time reviewing a book I didn't really enjoy. Basic resolution: I won't get fooled into reading #3.