futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves

Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves - May Theilgaard Watts This had always been my go-to book for tree identification. It's format is sort of a choose-your-own-adventure for tree identification. It's small enough to fit in your pocket and contains drawings rather than photographs.

I first used this book (along with Desert Tree Finder: a pocket manual for identifying desert treesDesert Tree Finder: a pocket manual for identifying desert trees) in a hands-on college course that had us trekking through the southwest on a 3-week camping trip. That class cemented in me a life-long love of trees. It's been a while since I did any tree-finding, but, lately, I've found myself NEEDING to identify trees when I walk by unfamiliar ones here and there. However, in my most recent tree-finding endeavors, I've been more disappointed with this book that I remembered from past use. Common trees are easy to identify with the book, but there are details that are lacking for other identification cases. Is it an ash or a hickory? Is it a buckeye or a chestnut? What type of beech is it? What in the world is the tree with the 5 radiating compound leaves and the purple flowers like a butterfly bush? I have had zero success in identifying trees with this book this week at home, in the park, and while camping. I think having photos rather than drawings would be helpful. It's nice that it fits in your pocket, but I'm ordering the National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Trees of North America National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Trees of North America to replace it.

3.5 stars.