futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Hatchet

Hatchet - Gary Paulsen Why didn't I read this in my youth? I put it back on the library shelf enough when I worked in the high school library. This story of survival after a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness is as interesting to me now as it would have been in high school. I love learning Brian's lessons with him and watching as his thinking changes with each new challenge ... how there are several incarnations of a new Brian as he has various "firsts". I read one review that eschewed the repetitive stream-of-consciousness writing that the author uses in the book. But I think that's what makes it a classic. We feel like we're thinking and evolving with Brian as he mulls over each new discovery. I have to think that I enjoyed this book more by listening to it as a 3-hour audio book. Rather than having my eyes devour the book in an hour or so, I could enjoy the cadence of the repetitive stream-of-conscious prose in which the author tells the story. I could more easily feel the patient ebb of time that Brian felt as he learned each new skill from trial and error.

I'm curious how that author managed to make sequels to this book. Is it possible that Brian is a supremely unlucky fellow and manages to get himself lost in the wilderness multiple times? I'll definitely keep my eyes out for the sequel.