futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer - Jennifer Lynch So, my friend Rusty insisted that I read this after I watched Twin Peaks and admitted to him my temporary obsession with it. Rusty's the biggest Twin Peaks fan I know, so I thought he'd surely have a suggestion for a book (or series) I could love as much as Twin Peaks. I had no idea that this book existed, so I immediately downloaded it to my Kindle on his suggestion and put off watching the prequel movie to the series because he swore that I had to read this first.

I'd been trying to figure out what made me enjoy Twin Peaks so much, and I think it's this:
1. As many quirky characters as psychotic characters and straight characters.
2. Memorable catch phrases and objects ("the owls are not what they seem", coffee, doughnuts, cherry pie)
3. Mystery, the unknown, dreams, and a 6th sense
4. Great music (rarely relevant in a book)
5. Good looking actors and actresses that were mainly perfectly cast (only relevant if a book becomes a movie)

I think that, above all, I enjoyed the characters in the television series, but this book didn't hold up to the series at all. It was written by David Lynch's daughter to fill in the gaps about the secret life of Laura Palmer. And I suppose that it does that, but it really doesn't have any of what made the television series a cult classic. All the characters in the book are fairly loathsome. There weren't any quirky items or memorable catch phrases. And The "mysterious" was simply sinister and evil. I suppose that if you get your kicks reading about a 15-year-old, orgy-having coke addict who is haunted by an evil spirit, then this book is for you. Personally, I didn't find a shred of interest in it and only held out to continue reading it because I thought there might be a secret to the series revealed within. And if that's your hope, don't bother. There's really nothing new here.