futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Assassination of Adolf Hitler

The Assassination of Adolf Hitler - M.R. Dowsing This time travel book has a twist I've never seen before.  It's so obvious that it should have been done a hundred times, But I've never seen it if it has been done. I have to admit that I was skeptical when the author sent me this book to read. After all, there weren't any previous reviews of the book and the subject matter seemed cliche. After all, doesn't every time traveler want to go kill Hitler. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I'd encountered only a couple such books. And since the author is a dead ringer for a good friend of mine, I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad that I did.

It's hard to give much information about the storyline without giving far too much away about the book. At what point is the time traveler successful at killing Hitler (if at all)? Will the time traveller need multiple tries or will he be successful the first time around? And if he's successful, how much of the book might be about an alternate timeline? Agh! I can't tell you a single thing without giving away other parts of the book. However, I can say that the book is wonderfully researched. Since our time traveler must eliminate Hitler before his must infamous existence in history, we get to meet a much earlier version than the version with which most of us are familiar. The author's re-creation of the locations and characters from the past are very well done. I felt as if I were truly there.

I didn't want to put the book down once I got started. It's not a conventional thriller- type page-turner (except as the book nears its end), but it had me turning pages nonetheless. I'd certainly recommend this to my fellow time travel fiction lovers. I'd definitely like to discuss the time travel twist with someone else who has read lots of time travel novels to see if it really has ever been done before. And I do hope this isn't M.R. Dowsing's last book because he's a pleasure to read.