futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The First Bird: Episode 1

The First Bird: Episode 1 - Greig Beck I'll just read the first free episode of this series, I said. He'll not make me read the second book, I said. How wrong I was. Greig (such a sneaky writer) left me hanging at the end of the first episode with an all-consuming need to know what was on the other side of the wall. I felt like Pete in "O Brother, Where Art Thou", screaming in desperation after the sirens consume him with their song. Had I only had $3.03 left in my bank account, I would have had to use it to find out what was on the other side of the rose-covered jungle wall. It's true.

This book has the perfect mixture of elements to make it intriguing. A scientist finds a lost tribe in the jungle, brings home a specimen of a toothed bird to the USA, and unleashes a horrible plague. A team is tasked to go into the jungle to try to find a cure. Mixed in with all of this is romance, jealousy, a hieroglyphic language, deadly plants and animals, a mysterious wall from which many have not returned, and a golden statue. I get the feeling I'm going to need to immediately read the last episode as much as I needed to read the second episode.

Well done.