futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Diary of a Nobody

The Diary of a Nobody - George Grossmith, Weedon Grossmith I picked up this book thinking it would be short and funny. But beyond the bathtub incident, I didn't really find myself chuckling much at all. It was kind of off-putting that the writer of the diary kept recounting his jokes and witty comments and then telling the reader of the diary that these jokes and witticisms made all their friends laugh. It's not funny if you have to tell the reader it's funny. Then again, this is in keeping with the character's personality of a constant need for validation whether it be from his job or from having his name listed in the newspaper as being in attendance at a fancy party. And god forbid anyone laugh AT him rather than WITH him. In the end, I find the British past time of putting on airs to be dull and pedestrian. Perhaps that's why I didn't enjoy the book. This is a "cult classic" I could have done without.