futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale - Philip K. Dick My husband found out the other day that I'd missed quite a lot of classic movies of the '80s and early '90s thanks to an overly-sheltered childhood. Included was the movie "Total Recall" which was based on this story. So we rectified my pop culture deficit by reinstituting an intallment of our long-lost Sci-Fi Night and watching the 1990 and the 2012 version of "Total Recall". The two movies and the original story differ vastly. I have to say that I like the ending of the story better. It's a little sillier and completely fails to mention a tri-bosomed lady (imagine that), but it's more satisfying.

After watching Total Recall for the first time, I woke up the next morning having had a dream in which, like Quaid/Quail, I woke up as someone else. Whose house did I wake up in? Oh, wow; this is what it feels like to not have sciatic nerve pain. Nice legs for a short skirt. Where do I take the kids to school? Is there a manual somewhere to tell me how to do my job? Since then, I've found myself, when dozing off, trying to figure out how I really would navigate such a situation. If I told someone I was really someone else, they'd assume I was crazy. But it wouldn't take long for the family to figure out I was an imposter. Would I stick around for a while for a little vacation? I could try calling my own telephone number and hope that the person I'd switched with was now "me" Then maybe I could figure out what to do day by day. Would we switch back just with the wrong faces? How would that go? It's strange how a story can affect you on that level. I guess that's why it inspired 2 movies.

After watching "Total Recall", I accidentally stumbled upon the television series called "Ringer" in which a girl takes on her sister's identity and tries to live her life. This situation was even better-explored in the New Zealand series (which was supposed to have been remade by ABC) "This is Not My Life" in which a man wakes up to a family and life not his own in a utopian world that wasn't quite what it seemed. Eerie concepts. I think it might be fun in the short-term, but not in the long-term. Besides, you have to take on the other person's problems.

I really like the list of books GoodReads recommends for those who like this story, including favorites such as [b:A Choice of Gods|222094|A Choice of Gods|Clifford D. Simak|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1206692034s/222094.jpg|215081], [b:All You Zombies|13030110|All You Zombies|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1338513108s/13030110.jpg|18193411], and [b:The Martian Chronicles|76778|The Martian Chronicles|Ray Bradbury|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1374049948s/76778.jpg|4636013]. They've got this story pegged. Now I'm going to have to check my husband's bookshelves to see if we have any of the other suggested titles because this is right down my alley.