futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King Although there were really only a couple of things about writing that I hadn't considered before reading this book, I still enjoyed it. I've always been a one draft kind of girl, but I can see King's point about needing at least a second draft to catch plot holes and to tighten up your theme/s. I like his idea of putting your story or novel in a drawer for 6 weeks before you do the re-read and second draft so that it's new again to you. The other thing I hadn't considered was working on my reputation as a writer by having short stories published so that I can add a list of my writing accomplishments to any cover letters I send out with future short stories or novels. Frankly, I haven't been published since about 1999. I haven't even written anything to put out there because suddenly the internet was filled with writers who made me feel less special. But I have always identified myself foremost as a writer. So why am I not writing more than just blog entries and book reviews? I must write to live, but why have I been spinning my wheels on these piddly things?

As for the rest of what King had to say, anyone who is a reader and a writer should probably already know these things. I had to laugh at King's mention of people who would come up to him and say that they'd never read a book or written anything in their life but that they wanted to write a novel. There are just so many parts of the writing process that you learn by observing and by doing.