futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Book of Flying

The Book of Flying - Keith  Miller This is my new favorite book. I simply can't think of any book that compares to it. Strangely, I found a hard back version of the book for $1 at the local dollar store which is not a place you normally think you're going to find the book that you fall in love with.

The Book of Flying is an adult fairy tale about Pico, the only librarian in a city by the sea. Pico's parents both had wings, but he was born wingless. Unfortunately, he falls in love with a winged woman who tells him that she can't love him fully because he has no wings. This sets him out on a quest for The Book of Flying, a book that will teach him to fly. It is rumored to be far across the forest and desert in a crumbling tower in Morning Town. Along the way, he joins a band of thieves, meets a minotaur who is also a gourmet chef, finds a nearly perfect rainy city full of books and coffee shops, lives in a whore house, and avoids being consumed by an immortal cannibal ... among many other adventures.

This book is a book-lover's and food-lover's delight. Simple meals of trout fried with mushrooms and garnished with fennel and a whole lime tantalize your taste buds while the beautiful prose and occasional poetry of the book draw you deeply within its pages.

I always disliked other books about journeys in which all the characters ever did was walk and walk and walk and then sometimes engage in a fight or a war. This book is the type of journey I want to read about and wish I could be in. It would make an absolutely gorgeous movie.