futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Elements of Style

The Elements of Style - E.B. White, William Strunk Jr. I don't agree with all Mr. Strunk's grammar, punctuation, and word usage rules. Much can change in a language between 1919 and 2008. Many of the nearly 100-year-old pet peeves of Mr. Strunk don't sound wrong to our modern ears. Thusly, I shall will use "like" as much as I want. I will also never write "Charles's" instead of "Charles'". I would hate to have Mr. Strunk as an English teacher marking up my essays because one cannot come to a mutual agreement to disagree with someone who has the power of pen and grade.

I do, however, like what Mr. Strunk has to say about tightening up sentences and paragraphs by omitting needless words and phrases. This has always been a passive goal of mine, but it's only now that I have found a guidebook to point the way.

I think that Strunk and White's book should definitely be read more as a book of style rather than a book of hard and fast rules. Every author creates his or her own style. Every age has its own set of words that grate on the ears. However, there are gems of thought here that can improve even the best of writers.