futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Pretties

Pretties - Scott Westerfeld The 2nd book in the Uglies trilogy is weaker, but it was still hard to put down. I think I was put off a bit by all the valley girl "pretty" talk where everything is oh so "bubbly"! Westerfeld spent more time developing a romantic relationship in this book than in having his characters engage in adventure. The book was nearly to page 300 before something truly interesting happened. Tally, in an attempt to get away from the dystopic world she lives in, jumps out of a hot air balloon and lands in a forest full of cave men who think that she, with all her "pretty" plastic surgery, is a god.

I especially liked the part where the characters put out a fire by pouring champagne on it. Really?

I don't have as much of an urgency to pick up the final book in the trilogy, but I know I won't be able to resist it because it's nice reading books that catch you up in them such that you spend your entire evening finishing them.