futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

The Chosen One

The Chosen One - Carol Lynch Williams Everyone seems to have a bit of curiosity when it comes to what happens behind the doors of a polygamous compound. I think that's obvious from our fascination with the HBO series "Big Love". And perhaps in some ways, polygamy wouldn't be so bad if all the wives and children got along and the wives only married for love. This novel, however, touches on the disgusting corruption that can exist within some polygamous sects.

Kyra is a 13-year-old girl living among a polygamous group called The Chosen Ones. She has a loving father, many loving mothers, and cares deeply for her 22 siblings. However, Kyra has 2 secrets: she's in love with a boy in her class named Joshua and she reads books from the bookmobile. Both of these things are sinful. All the non-Christian books in the compound were burned when she was a little girl and she cannot choose who to love because only God can reveal that through the Prophet. People who have defied the Prophet's marital pairings before have been executed for disobeying God. Unfortunately, the Prophet tells Kyra that she's to marry her 60-year-old uncle as his 7th wife. Is there a way for Kyra to escape to the world outside the compound of The Chosen Ones or will she have to marry her greasy, old uncle?

I found myself desperately turning pages in the last half of this book, hoping for Kyra's escape. There's so much emotion in this book. I know that not all polygamous societies are despicable like the one portrayed in this book. However, it makes me sad for the girls who have had to live through such traumatic experiences. It makes me even sadder for the ones who have no idea that there's a world outside their own that is different. It's quite upsetting that what they might be experiencing is more "Satanic" and "evil" than the "Satanic" and "evil" outside world they've been warned about and separated from.

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.