futurista

Enid Blyton
The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

How to Have Your Second Child First: 100 Things That Are Good to Know... the First Time Around - Kerry Colburn, Rob Sorensen How would I sum up the message of this book? Don't worry; your kids won't break. Lighten up. Let them put dirty things in their mouths, let their diapers fill with poo all night, and who cares if they watch a little tv. The authors of this book go through and list 100 things that are good to know with your first child that you usually know by your second child. I think I'm only convinced that I should lighten up but not that I should let my child wallow in its own poo all night. That's just disgusting. I'd not want to wallow in my own poo all night. Most of the good advice is stuff I wouldn't have really had an issue with in the first place.

Good Advice From the Book

1. You Don't Need to Buy All That Stuff: Frankly, I don't have room for all that stuff nor see a need for it, so I wasn't planning to buy lots of stuff anyway.

10. Take Advantage of How Much a Newborn Sleeps: Sleep when it sleeps. Yeah. I've heard that a million times already. Thanks.

54. You Don't Have to Subject Yourself to Kids' Music: I wasn't planning to anyway because it's absolutely whiny, repetitive, and annoying.

Useless Advice From the Book

5. You Can Tell Your Family to Stay Away for a While: My family lives 1000 miles away. You'd better BET I'm not going to tell them to leave me alone after they've traveled 1000 miles to get here. And I'm sure I'll love to have their help.

19. You Don't Have to Change Your Newborn's Diaper at Night: As I've said before, ew! No wonder your baby has awful diaper rashes.

63. Parenthood Can Be Unbelievably Boring: It can't be any more boring than non-parenthood.

Yeah, so you can see that the good advice and the useless advice just sort of balance themselves out to mainly useless advice. Maybe I'm just too laid back and previously knowledgeable for this book to be of much use to me. It sort of reminds me of those magazine lists that are written to make you feel smart for already knowing everything they have to say. *shrugs*

Note: While I critique both purchased and free books in the same way, I'm legally obligated to tell you I received this book free through the Amazon Vine program in return for my review. Blah blah blah.