futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Matched

Matched - Ally Condie Why is it that I feel guilty for really enjoying YA reads, especially ones that seem to be targeted at the female YA demographic? I think it's because they all have the potential to have a "perfect" guy who the heroine falls in love with because he has a "perfect" face (that sparkles or something). I was pleasantly surprised to find the heroine, Cassia, falling in love with the hero of the book for his intellect, sensitivity, and love of words. Why aren't the fan girls swooning over him rather than *insert random character name here*? Silly fan girls.

Of course, as a dystopian novel, the characters live in a world that seems perfect but isn't perfect because of the level of control the officials have instilled in order to try to make everything perfect. Society members are "matched" to their perfect mates somewhere in the country as determined by all the data gathered about every member of society. And they're really good at matching people. People WANT to be matched. Perfect matches breed perfect children who are placed in perfect work positions and who die perfect deaths at the perfect age of 80. Blah blah blah.

Anyhow, I enjoyed Cassia's journey of discovery about the people and world around her. And I enjoyed the poetry that was perfectly matched to the themes in the book:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...~Dylan Thomas

I found myself trying to listen to the audio book even when I wasn't in the car (a first for me) just to find out what was going to happen next. Silly YA romance novel. I'm so rolling my eyes at myself right now for having enjoyed it so much and put myself on the library waiting list for the next book in the series.