futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

Flashforward

Flashforward - Robert J. Sawyer After reading Paul Jones' time travel novel, Towards YesterdayTowards Yesterday (which is about what would happen if the whole world time traveled 20 years into the past), I had to read Flashforward (which is about what would happen if the whole world time traveled 20 years into the future). I'd seen the television series which, like too many sci-fi series, was canceled before there was a good resolution. I sort of hoped this would resolve the loose ends, but the only similarities seemed to be a character named Lloyd Simcoe and the concept of everyone getting a glimpse of their future.

I found the book to be interesting in that parts of it practically wrote itself as the author pondered the what-ifs of the rules he'd set up for his time travel scenario. I especially liked the argument that if the future isn't changeable then everyone in the future would be spending the entire flash forward giving an instructional to their past selves about what to avoid in life and how to make their fortunes. However, I found the idea of the soul (for lack of better terminology) being able to time travel outside the body as an observer (among other things) to be a little hokey. I think it was ridiculously hokey w-t-f ending that brought it down from 5 to 4 stars for me the more I thought about it. But it was definitely an entertaining read.