futurista

The Sparrow
Mary Doria Russell
Connie Barlow

11/22/63

11/22/63 - Stephen King Most nights, I had a hard time putting this down. I've purposefully stayed away from Stephen King books, and now I'm not so sure why because I absolutely loved this book. I think the main reason is that the book sucked me into its world and made me feel at home there while I was reading it. 850 pages went by in a breeze.

I liked the rules set up for time travel in this book. The time travel portal goes to one time and place in the past. Thus, each time the time traveler returns to the past, everything is reset back the way it was. Thus, if you do something that changes the future in a very bad way, you can always undo your mistakes.

I also like that, although the main goal of the time traveler is to try to prevent Kennedy's assassination, there are other subplots along the way including a visit to a town more deeply explored in others of King's novels and including a love interest. In a movie version think I'd have to cast Matthew Morrison (the chorus teacher from Glee) as the time traveler and Hilary Swank (made to look taller) as the love interest (alternately a smart, blonde Deborah Ann Woll or Chloe Sevigny).

The ending is bittersweet yet satisfying. Very well done.